Chapter 13 “Inequality and Achievement”- Angela Chen

Chapter 13 “Inequality and Achievement”
American’s logic of stratification doesn’t seem to notice any difference between classes. When people are ask about the difference between different classes, they reply that there is no difference. However, through research, we have found that there is a difference between the different social classes and that the wealthiest one-fifth of the society owns about 80% of the wealth. This means that the remaining 20% is shared by the three-fifth poorer section of the society. The reason why people are not wealthy is because they are ignorant and uneducated. They don’t know that they can make more money and achieve greater heights. Most are them are happy where they are. Wealthy people usually are more educated and think differently. They want to achieve more and become more than what they are now.
A person raised in a poor family has the same chance of becoming wealthy as is a person from a rich family. However, there are advantages of a wealthy family because they endure even during troubled economic times. The Matthew effect demonstrates this because during the 1980s and 1990s, the rich people became richer and those not so wealthy became poorer. The environment that children are raised in can also affect their lives. Poor families usually cannot send their kids to preschool and so the toddlers start school with less skill than those who did go to preschool. The children also grow up to become similar to their parents, usually within the same social class and with similar jobs. This may be because the children are used to be raised in a certain way and will most likely raise their own children similarly.
During crime scenes, poor people also are more likely to be the victims of the crimes no matter what kind. Poor people also appear to get caught more often when breaking the law. They are also less likely to be release on a bail but more likely to be convicted and sent to prison than people of higher class. The difference between the classes influences the learning of children very heavily. The social class of the family controls the type of food s/he eat and the way s/he eat it. It also influences the amount of training the child received in the sexual, aggressive and educational aspect. Another support detail of the cultural perspective on the reproduction of the class system is that the values, beliefs and behavioral norms of lower classes are not very compatible with success in the society.
Schools also appear to separate students depending on their class. When asked, most schools claim that they do not track students and separate them by any unequal ways. However, most school does track their students or have a way of dividing the student population into groups of students that are alike. Most schools believe that separating students into groups of similar students makes it easier for the teachers to teach them. A reason why people are poor is the lack of opportunity for them to succeed. Wealthier families are also shown to do better in other academic subjects such as sports. The basic physical education in public schools offer a mix of many types of sports and therefore make it very difficult to be specialized in a certain sport. Parents of wealthy students can usually afford to send their children to train is a specialized program for a specific sport instead of a mix of multiple different sports. The parents are able to send their kids to summer camp and travel teams. Tracking and interviewing wealthy families and poor families prove this research.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s